- 12 Frescados (6-inch) yellow corn tortillas
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 jalapeño chile, stemmed and minced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. honey, or sugar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice + lime wedges for serving
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt & cracked black pepper
- 1 lb. large shrimp (26/30), peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz. pepper Jack cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Diced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce
Recipe created in partnership with zestfulkitchen
Heat oven to 450ºF with rack set in lowest position. Combine tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, tomato paste, honey, lime juice, garlic, 1 tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper in a large bowl; set aside.
Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over med-high until shimmering. Add tomato mixture and cook until liquid has thickened and mostly evaporated, and tomatoes begin to break down, about 5 mins.
Meanwhile, cut shrimp into ½-inch pieces. Remove skillet from heat and stir in shrimp; set aside.
Brush 2 baking sheets with 2 Tbsp. oil (1 Tbsp. per sheet). Arrange 6 tortillas in a single layer on each sheet. Brush remaining 2 Tbsp. oil over tortillas. Divide cheese among tortillas and top with shrimp mixture. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until bottoms and edges of tortillas are golden brown and crisp and cheese is melted, 9–14 mins.
Top tacos with lettuce, avocado, cilantro, and hot sauce, if using. Quickly fold tacos in half and arrange in a large dish. Serve with lime wedges and additional hot sauce.