Skip to content
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time:15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 8 Frescados White or Yellow Corn Tortillas
- 4 tomatoes
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp prepared harissa
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 4 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapeño peppers
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Toss tomatoes with 1 tbsp oil. Preheat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat; cook tomatoes for 5 to 8 minutes or until charred all over. Let cool slightly; peel and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook onion and garlic for about 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in tomato paste, harissa and 1/2 tsp salt; cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomato purée and honey; bring to simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Let cool to room temperature. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Heat remaining oil in clean nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Break eggs into skillet; cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until egg whites are just set for sunny-side up. Season with remaining salt. Top each tortilla with salsa and fried egg. Garnish with jalapeños and green onions.