- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep Time:15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 16 Frescados White Corn Tortillas or Frescados Yellow Corn Tortillas
- 2 fresh chorizo sausages (about 6 oz each), casings removed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp pepper, divided
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat large ovenproof or cast iron skillet over medium heat; sauté chorizo, breaking up with spoon, for 8 to 10 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to plate; keep warm.
Drain fat from skillet; add oil. Sauté garlic, onion, red pepper and jalapeño over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until beginning to soften. Return chorizo to skillet; add tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, paprika and half each of the salt and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
Crack eggs into tomato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Transfer to oven; bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until eggs reach desired doneness.
Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil and heat in oven. Divide eggs and chorizo mixture among tortillas. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- For a milder dish, omit jalapeño pepper.
- Replace cilantro with chopped fresh parsley if desired.