- Yield: 12 servings (2 tacos per serving)
- Prep Time:20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour + 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour + 35 minutes
- 24 Frescados Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas or Yellow Corn Tortill
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped (about 3 lb)
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced - for meat
- 3 cups thinly sliced red onions - for toppings
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh gingerroot
- 6 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups quartered pitted green olives
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lemon wedges, for garnish
Pickled Red Onions: Toss together red onions, vinegar, sugar and salt until well combined; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
Chicken Tagine: Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. In large rondeau or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken, in batches if necessary, for 8 to 10 minutes or until well browned. Transfer to large bowl.
Reduce heat to medium; cook onions, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes or until softened and lightly golden. Stir in carrots, garlic and ginger; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or vegetables start to soften. Add turmeric, paprika, cumin, coriander and cinnamon; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
Stir in broth; bring to boil. Add olives, raisins, lemon zest and lemon juice; return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes. Uncover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is tender and sauce is thickened. Keep warm for service.
Assembly: For each serving, heat 2 tortillas according to package directions. Divide 2/3 cup Chicken Tagine between 2 tacos. Top with 2 tbsp drained Pickled Red Onions. Garnish with 1 tbsp parsley. Serve with lemon wedge.
Per 1/12 recipe