- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours and 5 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours and 20 minutes
12 Frescados Yellow Corn Tortillas, heated
1 cup lager-style beer
1 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
1 ripe avocado, pitted and thinly sliced
1/2 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
12 drained pickled jalapeño pepper rings
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In slow cooker, combine beer, barbecue sauce, tomato paste, chipotle peppers, chili powder and salt; add chicken thighs. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or High for 4 hours or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
Remove chicken; set aside. Pour liquid into saucepan; bring to boil over medium-high heat. Whisk cornstarch with 1/4 cup water; whisk into sauce until sauce thickens. Shred chicken with 2 forks and mix with up to 1/2 cup of sauce.
Assemble shredded chicken, cabbage, avocado, feta, jalapeño peppers and cilantro in warm tortillas. Serve with lime wedges.
- Substitute queso fresco for feta cheese if desired.
- For a shortcut, use prepared shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix.
- Cool leftover sauce completely; refrigerate in airtight container for up to 5 days. Serve with grilled meats.